2015 Men’s World Cup: Points Decision, Technical Knock-Out for Leading Name
Courtesy of ITTF
Drama filled the air as matters concluded on the opening day of play, Friday October 16th, at the Liebherr 2015 Men’s World Cup in Halmstad, Sweden.
Egypt’s Omar Assar beat Brazil’s Gustavo Tsuboi in a full distance seven games duel (11-13, 11-9, 11-8, 7-11, 6-11, 11-8, 11-6), having earlier suffered defeat at the hands of Portugal’s Tiago Apolonia by a similar margin(6-11, 11-6, 11-5, 11-8,7-11,4-11, 11-8).
Success by narrow margins for Tiago Apolonia but it had been defeat by narrow margins in his opening contest against Gustavo Tsuboi (8-11, 5-11, 11-9, 8-11, 11-7, 11-4, 11-8).
Equality
Level on match ratio, level on games ratio; it was points ratio that decided the outcome.
One point, one solitary point determined first place. Top spot went to Gustavo Tsuboi (131:129), second place to Omar Assar (128:127) with third spot and elimination being the lot of Tiago Apolonia (122:125) the highest World ranked player in the group.
Players finishing in first and second places in each of the four groups advanced to the main draw.
Missed Chances
“I’m pleased that I finished in first place in the group but of course I’d have preferred to remain unbeaten”, said Gustavo Tsuboi. “In the first game against Omar I was down 7-10 and won, in the second I was ahead 9-5 and lost.”
The contest ebbed and flowed with neither player able to take a stranglehold on proceedings.
“It was a good fight, the match was played at a good level”, added Gustavo Tsuboi. “I had my chances and I didn’t take them but I must give credit to Omar, he played well, very well.”
Most Satisfactory
A positive Gustavo Tsuboi, it was very much the same reaction from Omar Assar.
“Yes, I was disappointed I lost to Tiago this morning, especially when I had a good lead in the seventh game”, said Omar Assar. “Of course I wanted to finish in first place and I think I played well enough today to do that; but second place, overall I’m satisfied.”
Anton Källberg reflects on a satisfactory day and mission accomplished
Anton Källberg
Success for Omar Assar, earlier in the day there had been success against the odds for the host nation’s Anton Källberg, listed at no.85 on the current Men’s World Rankings, he beat India’s Sharath Kamal Achanta, named at no.59 in a most impressive manner. He won in four straight games (11-5, 11-6, 11-1, 11-8) to secure second place in the group behind Austria’s Robert Gardos, a player the Swedish teenager had tested.
In his opening contest he had been beaten by the more experienced Austrian in straight games defeat but in each game he had been most competitive (11-8, 12-10, 11-8, 11-9).
Defeat but surely his performance must have been a source of confidence.
“No not really, it’s simple I lost”, said Anton Källberg who by beating Sharath Kamal Achanta was following the example set earlier in the day by colleague, Kristian Karlsson when causing a major upset by beating Singapore’s Gao Ning (11-4, 5-11, 11-6, 13-11, 11-7).
Relive a golden moment, point of the day, Simon Gauzy versus Panagiotis Gionis
Powerful Opponent
“Yes, played really well”, continued Anton Källberg. “I feel I played well against Sharath, he is powerful, especially from the forehand; so I focused as much as possible on playing to his backhand.”
Certainly it was an impressive performance by the Swedish teenager who, as against Robert Gardos, had taken full advantage of his range of services.
“Service; that’s always important”, explained Anton Källberg. “Today I’ve achieved my goal of qualifying for the main draw; now let’s see what happens.”
Great to Play
A place in the main draw for Anton Källberg, it was the same for Frenchman, Simon Gauzy; he ended any dreams harbored by Jimmy Butler of the United States in four straight games (12-10, 11-8, 11-7, 11-8).
“It’s just been great playing here in the company of all these great players”, said Jimmy Butler. “I hoped I might win one game but I didn’t.”
Earlier in the day, he had suffered a straight games defeat at the hands of Panagiotis Gionis (11-4, 11-9, 11-3, 11-9).
Jimmy Butler delighted to be in Halmstad at the Liebherr 2015 Men’s World Cup
Lost to Ma Wenge
“I played in 1992, first match I played Ma Wenge and lost”, reminisced Jimmy Butler; maybe that could be a good omen for Panagiotis Gionis or Simon Gauzy? Ma Wenge won the event!
“A great deal has happened since those days and I must congratulate the International Table Tennis Federation on everything they have done in recent years; being here in this atmosphere has been a great privilege”, continued Jimmy Butler. “My troubles are well documented, I was born with scoliosis, a tightening of the muscles and things just got worse; eventually a machine was designed to help my recovery.”
Now, Jimmy Butler is able to compete at a high level and he is reveling in the opportunity that has been afforded.
“I am just so happy that I can play table tennis again”, smiled Jimmy Butler. “I started again about three years ago, for over ten years I never picked up a paddle.”
The end of the road for Jimmy Butler, now he can sit back and enjoy the rest of the tournament; play in the main draw commences on Saturday October 17th.
Quotes of the Day
Liebherr 2015 Men’s World Cup: Quotes of the Day – Friday October 16th