(by Steve Hopkins)
Spin & Smash Table Tennis & Ping Pong Center reopened on May 26 in Columbus, Ohio. This was the first date that gyms and fitness centers were allowed to open in Ohio, with the State’s Gyms Advisory Group providing a details list of guidelines and best practices to assist gyms and fitness centers.
Spin & Smash worked with a cleaning consultant to make sure they were using the most effective virus-killing products. They have made these products available at each table and asked players to disinfect tables after play. Snacks and drinks have been moved behind a counter and a plexiglass screen has been added to help protect staff.
Their new protocols are as follows:
Phase 1: Singles play and individual private coaching are permitted in the facility with combined occupancy of no more than 12 players at any one time. Only 6 tables are available at this time.
Phase 2: During this phase group lessons and doubles play will also be permitted.
Phase 3: Tournaments will be added to the schedule.
Phase lengths are dependent upon how each phase progresses.
New Protocols for Play:
- Use your own balls and paddles. There will be no club balls available to borrow, only for purchase. There will be no rental paddles. Our pro shop will be well-stocked with a range of paddles from inexpensive to top of the line.
- Observe social distancing when not playing. Masks are encouraged, especially when not playing.
- We’ll only be playing singles temporarily. Doubles will be added cautiously.
- The robot and pool table will be temporarily unavailable.
- Players are responsible for disinfecting their tables at the conclusion of their play. Disinfectant spray, paper towels and trash bins will be available at each table.
- Wash your hands before arrival and frequently; especially after playing.
- Credit or debit cards are the preferred method of payment.
- Avoid moving barriers when possible.
The club is now moving into Phase 2 where they will allow group play of up to 12 players and where doubles play will be permitted for a limited number of players.