- Timo Boll ALC
- Tenergy 05
- Tenergy 05
Larry was introduced to the world of table tennis at the age of 16 when fate led him to Marty Reisman’s “The Money Player” at his high school library. He was inspired to learn more about the USATT (the called USTTA), found a local club and gave it everything he had. Despite repeat poor performances, he stuck with it and was the best at the club a few short years later. To this day Hodge is one of the most sought after coaches, experts, tournament directors, club directors, promoters, writers/editors, and webmasters in the table tennis industry.
Larry’s performance as an extraordinary player led him to many state titles and 26 national titles, followed by an impressive coaching, writing and managing career. He served as the Director/Manager/Coach at the Resident Training Program for Table Tennis at the Olympic Training Center from 1985 to 1989; was the former Coach of the USA National Junior Team; and served as USE Table Tennis Magazine Editor for 12 years and 71 issues. From 1991 until 1998, Larry was the coach and director at the Maryland Table Tennis Center in Gaithersburg, Maryland, USA, where they dominated the Junior Olympics and Junior Nationals for 13 consecutive years (1991-2003), winning over half the gold medals and more total medals than any other state. His USA Table Tennis Developmental Coach of the Year Award in 2002 was followed by an induction as a contributor to the USATT Hall of Fame in 2003—prestigious in itself, but specially rewarding as Hodge is the youngest person ever to be inducted as a contributor.
Hodge has authored Five Table Tennis Books, all of which we recommend to improve your table tennis game:
- Table Tennis Tactics for Thinkers (240 pages) Learn table tennis tactics from U.S. National Coach and Hall of Famer Larry Hodges. Includes tactics against different styles, grips, and surfaces as well as tactical and strategic thinking. 21 chapters, 102,000 words, 90 photos.
- Table Tennis Tips (228 pages) Here are 150 Tips to help your table tennis game, by Larry Hodges – a member of the U.S. Table Tennis Hall of Fame, a U.S. National Coach, and an ITTF Certified Coach. They compile in logical progression three years’ worth of Tips of the Week from TableTennisCoaching.com. They cover all aspects of the game: Serve, Receive, the Strokes, Grip and Stance, Footwork, Tactics, How to Improve, Sports Psychology, Equipment, and Tournaments.
- Table Tennis Tales & Techniques (272 pages) Techniques contains the best published work of USATT Hall of Famer Larry Hodges. This well-known author, coach, editor, promoter, and club, tournament, and league director has penned some of the best table tennis writings you will find. Much of the book contains excellent table tennis instruction including, but not limited to: Serving, Receiving, Rallying, Footwork, Tactics, How to Improve, Miscellaneous Coaching, and Hardbat.
- Professional Table Tennis Coaches Handbook (42 pages) Long-time professional table tennis coach and USA Table Tennis Hall of Famer Larry Hodges shows how you can become a professional table tennis coach. This is not a manual on how to coach; it’s a manual on how to make a living as a coach – maximizing income, getting a facility and equipment, recruiting and retaining students, teaching classes, setting up and running a junior program, private coaching, a drills library, sample flyers to promote your coaching, and more.
- Table Tennis: Steps to Success (160 pages) Table Tennis: Steps to Success is the first book to give you a self-paced program for learning the important skills and game strategies in table tennis. By following this unique step-by-step approach, you will improve the level of your game and learn to play like a champion.
On April 6, 2015, Larry was appointed to the USA Table Tennis Regional Associations Coordinator. He’s a member of USA Table Tennis, USA Table Tennis Hall of Fame, Maryland Table Tennis Center, Classic Table Tennis Association, Science Fiction Writers of America, The Writers Center, Critters, U.S. Tennis Association, Quince Orchard Tennis Club, and American Mensa. Larry has a Master’s degree in Journalism, and a Bachelor’s degree in Math, with concentrations in computer science and chemistry (all from University of Maryland).
As the Head Coach at TableTennisCoaching.com and a certified USATT National Coach, Hodge has worked with the best players in the country. Suffice it to say, he knows a thing or two about the important table tennis skills and game strategies. We’re thrilled to regularly share his insights, expertise and analysis at We Are Butterfly.