Ask The Experts
Butterfly Table Tennis Question and Answer
Blade: Gergely Carbon
Forehand: Tenergy 05
Backhand: Please suggest
Question: Hi, I use Tenergy 05 (2.1 Red) for forehand and I have doubts to choose the best rubber for my backhand. I want more spin. (I play more offensive)
1. Is it a good idea to make it different than my forehand?
2. Does FX provide more spin? How about it?
3. What are the differences between 2.1 and 1.9? I think it’s harder so does it provide more spin or speed?
Looking forward to hear from you ASAP.
- It’s a good idea to use a different rubber on your backhand if it requires special attention. Players with weaker backhands tend to use softer, faster, and sometimes specialty rubbers to compensate. If your backhand has more spin than power then FX sponge will benefit you.
- FX versions have the same top sheet but with softer sponge. Softer sponge allows more ball penetration which provides additional surface grip and dwell time.
This allows you to produce more spin when attacking and more consistency for touch and blocking.
- 2.1 sponge gives more rebound force which produces more speed. Most intermediate-advanced players use 2.1 sponge. The thicker sponge also helps if you play away from the table 1.9 sponge is a touch slower and offers a little reduction in weight. Most beginner to intermediate players prefer 1.9 sponge because it give them more control and works for close to table play.