NEW DATES: April 8 - 10, 2022
The Butterfly Puerto Rico Open Teams Tournament is a USATT sanctioned 4-star tournament that will be held at the Puerto Rico Convention Center in San Juan, Puerto Rico, during the weekend of April 8 – 10, 2022.
The event is being sponsored by Bowmar Sports TTC and held with the cooperation of the Puerto Rico Table Tennis Federation.
The Tournament will be held during a three-day competition and will feature players from all over the US, Latin America and around the world.
The tournament will feature the following 25mm top ITTF approved tables:
- Butterfly Centerfold 25 table with net set
- Europa 25 table with net set
The tournament will use white Butterfly R40+ 3 Star ABS balls.
Flooring for division 1 will be red rubberized mat. All others will be concrete.
White shirts or shorts/skirts during play are not allowed. All USATT and ITTF rules and regulations will be followed.
Tournament Director: Larry Thoman
Tournament Referee: Kagin Lee
|Deadline||Team Fee||Pay Now Register Later Deadline|
|Teams 1-50||$599.00||January 7, 2022|
|Early Bird||January 7, 2022||$699.00||January 7, 2022|
|Regular Deadline||March 7, 2022||$799.00||March 7 , 2022|
Entries must be received by Monday, March 7, 2022 midnight ET. Waiver forms MUST be signed and returned for entry to be final.
Entries are eligible for a full refund up to March 7th, 2022.
Entries that are withdrawn after March 7th, 2022 and before April 1st, 2022 will be eligible for a 75% refund.
There will be no refunds after April 1st, 2022 midnight ET.
If availability permits, late entries may be accepted with an additional $100 late fee.
All confirmed additions or late entries will be notified via email. For additional information please email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 252 291 4770 to confirm that it was received and accepted.
- Champion - $7,500
- Finalist - $3,000
- Semifinalist - $1,250
- Quarterfinalist - $500
All other divisions Finalists will receive Award cups, plates, or trophies.
All prize money will be paid in USD. All prize money over $1,000 will be paid by bank transfer, within 10 days after the conclusion of the event.
Winners are required to provide Social Security numbers. International prize money winners are required to provide Passport/ VISA.
** We are required by U.S. Department of Treasury to withhold 30% tax on all prize money recipients from countries that do not have a treaty with the U.S
|Thursday April 7:|
|4:00 PM - 7:00 PM||Registration & Practice|
|Friday April 8:|
|7:30 AM - 8:30 AM||Registration|
|9:00 AM - 1:00PM||Preliminary rounds 1 & 2|
|1:00PM - 2:00PM||Lunch break|
|2:00PM - 6:00PM||Preliminary rounds 3 & 4|
|Saturday April 9:|
|8:00AM - 8:30PM||Division 1 - rounds 1-4|
|Divisions 2-10 - rounds 1-5|
|Sunday April 10:|
|8:00AM - 6:00PM||Divisions 2-10 - rounds 6-7 & SE Playoffs|
|10:00AM - 12:30PM||Division 1 - quarters & 1st crossover for 9-20|
|12:30PM - 3:00PM||Division 1 - semis & 2nd crossover for 9-20|
|3:00PM - 5:30PM||Division 1 - finals & 3rd crossover for 9-20|
Open to all USATT members. All persons playing in a USATT sanctioned event must be USATT members.
Any non-USATT members are eligible to play in the tournament by paying for a Basic Membership Plan, which costs $25/person.
All players must submit a signed USATT Waiver before the tournament. Click here to download.
On Friday, teams will play 2, 3, or 4 matches (most teams will play 4) and will be placed in a division based on each team's performance. All divisions, except Division 1, will be split into 2 round robin groups of 8 teams. Most teams will play 5 matches on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. Teams finishing in the top 2 places in their half of the division will play in the semifinals, and the winning teams will advance to the finals.
For Division 1, the top 4 teams are seeded directly into the division. The other 16 teams will qualify from the preliminaries. Division 1 will consist of 4 groups of 5 teams. The top 2 teams from each RR will advance to the SE Playoffs. Third place teams will play a crossover for positions 9-12; 4th place teams will play crossover for positions 13-16, and fifth place teams will play crossover for positions 17-20.
Each team match, except the SE Playoffs of Division 1, will consist of 3 players from each team (chosen from the full complement of 3-5), playing in a Swaythling Cup, best of 9 format. Individual matches will be 3 out of 5 games and must be played in order. Once a team has reached 5 matches won, no further matches will be played (and matches in progress will be abandoned). One team will be ABC, and the other will be XYZ. A coin flip determines which team captain gets the first choice between ABC and XYZ.
For Division 1, teams will play the above 9-match Swaythling Cup format for divisional matches, and the Swaythling Cup 5-match format for the SE Playoffs. The 9-match format is A v X, B v Y, C v Z, B v X, A x Z, C v Y, B v Z, C v X, A v Y. 5-match format is A v X, B v Y, C v Z, A v Y, B v X.
Convention Center Food Policy
No outside food, drink, or coolers allowed to be brought into the convention center. There will be food, water, and concessions available inside the venue.
Due to the ongoing Covid-19 pandemic, the following precautions will be implemented at this tournament:
- To enter the venue, each person has to be wearing a mask and pass a temperature check.
- All persons inside the venue are to wear masks when not playing at the table or eating/drinking.
- All persons are to maintain social distance inside the venue.
- Teams are restricted to 3-5 players + 1 coach + 1 other person. Captains, please help us monitor this when playing other teams.
- Team captain will check in the entire team and be the only party responsible for collecting and turning in the match slips.
- All captains will be given an ink pen that is to be used throughout the duration of the tournament.
- ABC/XYZ designations will be decided at the team captains' meeting.
- Each team will be given 2 balls per player. The captain is to distribute these balls to each player on the team. If a ball is broken during the tournament, the captain can bring the broken ball to the control desk for a replacement.
- In matches, the server will serve his/her own ball. Then put his/her ball in a pocket when the opponent is serving. We recommend all players where shorts/skirts with pockets. Try not to handle the opponent's ball. After the match, we further encourage players to sanitize any ball used during the match.
- When changing ends of the table, walk around the table to your left at the same time as your opponent.
- If ball enters your court from another court, kick it back with your foot or strike it with your paddle back towards the court it came from. Avoid handling stray balls.
- At end of match, players may tap paddles at arm's length in lieu of handshake.
- No intentional rubbing of your hands on the table surface.
- Hand sanitizer is available throughout the venue. Please use after touching common surfaces.
- Please limit going in and out of the venue.
- These precautions may change prior to the tournament. Please check back periodically for any changes, especially before you leave to travel to Puerto Rico.