EYC– IOANNIS SGOUROPOULOS WINS GOLD
(Courtesy of ButterflyMag)
EYC– IOANNIS SGOUROPOULOS WINS GOLD
After amazing team competitions with astonishing results the European Youth Championships in Portugal found another very successful ending in the individuals and doubles competition. It was a pleasure to be there and to witness awesome performances and exciting matches. Our congratulations go to all players, trainers and associations which achieved their aims and to Portugal as a gorgeous host nation for our beloved sport.
14 medals for 12 Butterflies
All in all our younsters gathered 14 medals in the cadet and junior competitions. Ioannis SGOUROPOULOS (GRE) in junior boys singles, Vladimir SIDORENKO (RUS) in cadet boys singles and Sophia KLEE together with Anastasia BONDAREVA (GER) in cadet girls doubles gained gold, which is an outstanding result.
Wenna TU (GER) was not able to win the final in cadet girls singles but the silver medal anyway is a great achivement.
Rares SIPOS (ROU) missed the chance to play the final in the junior boys competition due to the loss in a very close match. After leading 3:1 against the later champion he was not able to finish the match in the next three sets, but shouldn’t be too unhappy about his very good third place.
In the junior girls singles event noone was able to stop Jing NING (AZE). Only Adina DIACONU (ROU) was close to beating her but had to congratulate her opponent after leading 3:2 and a very close 6th set.
Nevertheless the junior girls singles prooved to be dominated by our shooting stars and ended up with a silver medal won by Anastasia KOLISH (RUS) and two bronze medals won by Maria TAYLAKOVA (RUS) and Adiana DIACONU (ROU). Next to that Jennie WOLF and Luisa SAGER (GER) who won bronze in the junior girls doubles.
In the cadet girls competition the resuls were very similar to the junior girls. Wenna TU (GER) was not able to beat Elizabeta ABRAAMIAN (RUS) and gained silver, while Elena-Adriana ZAHARIA (ROU) and Anastasia BONDAREVA (GER) steped on the podium to recieve the bronze medals.
Click here to watch Ioannis SGOUROPOULOS at his victory against Cristian PLETEA in the junior boys final:
Here are the final results of the EYC 2017:
Cadet girls singles
1. ABRAAMIAN, Elizabet RUS
2. TU, Wenna GER BTY
3. ZAHARIA, Elena – Adriana ROU BTY / BONDAREVA, Anastasia GER BTY
Cadet girls doubles
1. Sophia Klee GER BTY / Anastasia Bondareva GER BTY
2. Ariana Slautina RUS / Nataliyi Malinina RUS
3. YILMAZ, Ozge TUR / HARAC, Ece TUR // ZIRONOVA, Ekaterina RUS / ABRAAMIAN, Elizabet RUS
Cadet boys singles
1. SIDORENKO, Vladimir RUS BTY
2. MOREGARDH, Truls SWE
3. KULCZYCKI, Samuel POL / GREBNEV, Maksim RUS
Cadet boys doubles
1. MOREGARDH, Truls SWE / FRIIS, Martin SWE
2. GREBNEV, Maksim RUS / SIDORENKO, Vladimir RUS BTY
3. CAVAILLE, Jules FRA / SABHI, Myshaal FRA // HAMACHE, Bilal FRA BTY / ZHENG, Dorian FRA
Junior girls singles
1. NING, Jing AZE
2. KOLISH, Anastasia RUS BTY
3. TAILAKOVA, Mariia RUS BTY / DIACONU, Adina ROU BTY
Junior girls doubles
1. HARASZTOVICH, Fanni HUN / YOVKOVA, Maria BUL
2. NING, Jing AZE / CHEN, Xingtai AZE
3. SAGER, Luisa GER / WOLF, Jennie GER BTY// LUPULESKU, Izabela SRB / SURJAN, Sabina SRB
Junior boys singes
1. SGOUROPOULOS, Ioannis GRE BTY
2. PLETEA, Cristian ROU
3. SODERLUND, Simon SWE / SIPOS, Rares ROU BTY
Junior boys doubles
1. PLETEA, Cristian ROU / IVONIN, Denis RUS
2. SODERLUND, Simon SWE / MEISSNER, Cedric GER
3. JUHASZ, Patrik HUN / NAGY, Norbert HUN // MOLNAR, Istvan Patrik HUN / PUTUNTICA, Andrei MDA
Thank you very much for the photography to Olivier Merlet and Michael SANZ from SUATT – the French PRO B team Ioannis SGOUROPOULOS is playing for.
For original article, please click here